Wednesday, October 19, 2005

 

Metamorphousthe?

Return to Metamorphousthe Home

You might say, "Metamorphousthe??, sounds Greek to me.", and at that you would be correct because "Metamorphousthe" "μεταμορφουσθε" is a Greek word. I took this phrase directly from the first portion of Romans 12:2 to better explain who I am and what my life is about. Even though using the word "metamorphousthe" in a search engine will return primarily biblical references it should be noted that this is not a religious word. The author of the book of Romans was using a common point of reference that the readers would be familiar with to describe the position that a follower of Jesus should take in this present lifetime, the lifetime of a believer. So why did I choose the word? Most of us use nicknames that are descriptive of us or what and how we think, this is descriptive of my mind-set.

Romans 12:2 begins:
In my words: "Do not try to follow the standards of this world, but be someone totally different and set yourself apart by changing your entire mind-set"
King James Version: "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind"
The MESSAGE: "Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out."
Greek Textus Receptus: "και μη συσχηματιζεσθε τω αιωνι τουτω αλλα μεταμορφουσθε τη ανακαινωσει του νοος υμων" "kai me suschematizesthe to aioni touto alla metamorphousthe te anakainosei tou noos umon"

"Conformity" ("συσχηματιζεσθε", "suschematizesthe"= "to fashion alike") means "with or together + form", it is a form, manner, resemblance, agreement, etc. of something; to model yourself after or to be like. But this never changes WHO you are deep down, your true character. It can be said that an actor conforms himself/herself to the character that they are playing but the actor will always be who they are. The true form of the word "hypocrite" means "under + disguise or crisis" and was the original word used to describe a stage actor, it literally means "someone who acts or feigns."

"Transformity" ("μεταμορφουσθε", "metamorphousthe" = "be transformed") means "across or move + the form of", to change the shape or form of, to take on a new form. The word can and should also be translated "metamorphosis" which means "change + shape". We remember the transformation of a caterpillar to a butterfly or a tadpole to a bullfrog. This is not something that just "grows up" but something that becomes "totally different". The true form of the word "repent" comes from the Greek word "μετανοέω" ("metanoeo") means "change + mind". To repent from your ways is not to say, "I'm sorry." or apologize but means to walk a different path or to change your way of thinking.

As people who follow Jesus, we are told by the author of Romans to lay aside our lifestyle that is patterned out of the selfishness of this world's ideals, bring death to that inside man (or woman) that strives to live and be like these fashions and become someone totally different. Not a hypocrite that only lives it in a crisis situation or in front of others as an actor on a stage. But BE that person.

That explains a lot. How can I transform myself? I am who I am and I will be this till I die. The question I had to ask myself then was, "Who am I really?", "Why am I the way I am?", and "Why do I think this way about things?" I have to see if the pattern and lifestyle I live (and think) is a pure and holy lifestyle that brings honor to God and His character (which has eternal results) or does it bring honor and glory to myself, puffing me up (which has temporal results). I think it might be fare to say that none of us are TRULY unique in the purest sense of the word. We pattern or simulate in some fashion or another the culture around us, our family, society, nation, politics, the era that we live in, etc. In the most part the system of the world (man's ways and ideas, and thinking) are mainly self centered and at a lot of times, dishonoring to God. In short, the intent of mankind is full of sin. This is what we should strive to be different from.

Start a new mind-set now. If you feel that what I state is just religion or false ideas, I would put a challenge before you. I am SO confident that my God is real and calling for you specifically and by name, that this challenge will not go unheard. Tonight, while you lay in bed by yourself alone, say something simple like, "God, I have lived not really trusting that You truly exist to have a personal one-on-one relationship with me as my Guide through life. I want to know if You are TRULY real, if You TRULY exist. Make Yourself known to me tonight in a way that I will KNOW till my dying day that You are who You say You are and I will trust my life with You from then on." I KNOW my God is real and answers prayers. If you say something like this with the most sincerest heart, wanting to genuine KNOW with all surety, if He does not answer you then you may walk away not believeing in Him till your dying day.

Return to Metamorphousthe Home

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?